What Is a PERC Card?October 4, 2018 12:11 am Leave your thoughts
In most industries, you’ll find terms that are specific to that field. Most people outside of the industry are not familiar with these terms. In the world of security, one of these terms is “PERC card.” If you do much research into security guard services you’ll probably encounter this phrase.
Since a PERC card is an important part of security guard services, it’s good to understand exactly what this is. Use the following overview to educate yourself about this card.
PERC Card: Definition
PERC stands for Permanent Employee Registration Card. When a person holds this card, it indicates they have undergone required state and federal background checks and fingerprinting to work as a security guard in Illinois. Potential employers of security guards require applicants to have a PERC card. It is a prerequisite for obtaining a security guard license.
PERC Card: Purpose
By requiring a PERC card for every security position applicant, the state of Illinois ensures that everyone hired as security personnel in the state has passed a background check (and has not been convicted of felony charges). If a company hires someone who does not have a PERC card, they can be fined heavily. The individual who is hired can also be fined. This makes it unlikely that any security guards in Illinois are unqualified for their position. It helps protect the residents of Illinois by ensuring that security personnel have clean records.
PERC Card: Advantages
Because individuals are required to obtain a PERC card before they even apply for a security guard position, this eliminates the chance that a company will skimp on their requirements. In an attempt to save time or money, an organization may be tempted to skip background checks or fail to fingerprint potential hires. Since all of this must be completed before an individual is considered for a position with a provider of security guard services the process cannot be skipped.
PERC Card: Process
To obtain a PERC card, an individual must complete a five-step process:
- Requirements: To obtain a PERC card, a person must be 18 years or older, have a social security number and be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Application: If an individual meets these requirements, they must download, print and complete the application for a PERC card. This can be obtained on the website of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Registration (IDFPR). The packet includes instructions, the application, an employee statement form and a fingerprint submission sheet.
- Fingerprinting: Next, one must schedule fingerprinting to complete the criminal background check. The IDFPR site offers links to local vendors who offer this service. A receipt showing the fingerprinting has been completed must be submitted with the PERC card application.
- Submission: Once these steps have been completed, the application, receipt and application fee must be submitted to the IDFPR.
- Wait: Once the application has been processed, if all information and the background check are approvable, the individual will receive clearance. They will be provided a PERC card.
Would you like to learn more about security guard services? Whether you are interested in becoming a security guard or need to hire security personnel, the professionals at American Pride Security Services are ready to assist you. Contact our team today!
Categorised in: Security Guard Services
This post was written by Writer